Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I thought someone might be interested in this Frankenbike that popped up on Craigslist in Portland a couple weeks ago. I was thinking about it myself (always good to have a spare, or a ready source of parts) but I need another project like I need a hole in my head.

Interesting features:
It has a kickstart!
Later gen1 plastic body pieces
Engine supposedly rebuilt 10k miles ago
Runs on starting fluid but carb needs work.
Kickstand torn off, so that needs to be welded back on. See the ad for the details and pics.

I have no financial or personal interest, yadda, yadda...

Anyway, The seller is a guy in Portland that has a side business of parting out KLRs and other dirt or dual purpose bikes. He also has a USMC bike for sale (gasoline).

·
Registered
98 Posts
The owner certainly wouldn't be afraid to drop it. That should be added to the "Pros" section of the advet. The "Cons" would be he owns it. You're not kidding when you called it a "Frankenbike ".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedo is there. Look at 3rd picture. Those look like Gen 1 forks to me, but I’m not an expert.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
As a connoisseur of used KLRs, the asking price is high for a rough '87 with frame damage.
Some upgrades, including front SS brake line, handlebars/guards and dash/switches.

Cylinder looks to be later Gen-1 (post '95) which would have thicker barrel and support the big bore kits.

Ad says '96 plastics, but the yellow splashed tank and shroud are from model year '99 only.
Fun project at $900, but IMHO, too much money and work at $1800.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts