Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'll agree with that statement, Roy Russell.

Depending on the shape of the rock, I doubt that even the Ricochet style skid plate on my 1987 would have prevented that catastrophic failure!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll agree with that statement, Roy Russell.

Depending on the shape of the rock, I doubt that even the Ricochet style skid plate on my 1987 would have prevented that catastrophic failure!
I guess to me it just seems like a needless waste of an otherwise good condition KLR to intentionally case it without any protection

edit: other than the whole "torture testing an early year KLR when later years are available" thing

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
i think the whole point of that bit was to demonstrate what can happen WITHOUT a skid/bash plate.
Maybe so!

They certainly demonstrated what happens when a Generation 1 without Tee mod attempts fording water deeper than 10"!

:)

Their overall thematic point? Don't know; even the SPACE SHUTTLE failed, sometimes!

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts

I think you'd be surprised by both how strong the ricochet is and how weak the case is! ;-) IMO, you'd be hard pressed to damage the case with a ricochet or JNS skidplate in place.

Dave

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I've hammered a couple of dents out of the 2 different aluminum skid plates which I've used over the past 29-30 years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What it looked like (to me - a young, uneducated dummy) is that the drain bolt was the first thing to contact the ground and subsequently was torqued back and up into the case, shattering the part of it immediately to the rear of the bolt. If there was a low-profile bolt and/or a sufficiently thick skidplate then the bike may have been just fine. Well, or the frame could've been completely boogered - it's all speculation in the end.

What ISN'T speculation on my part is that it's just... dumb to do this to a 31-year old bike (an antique!). Especially when there's a great many other KLRs that have been abused to the point of almost not running which would all be perfectly suitable for this kind of destruction. (and, in my opinion, may even be a better candidate for such tests if you take that prior abuse into consideration in the final cut of the video)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I've hammered a couple of dents out of the 2 different aluminum skid plates which I've used over the past 29-30 years.
me too but the 3/16" 5052 is quite strong and I have some clearance between the case and the plate. Not saying it isn't possible, just that IMO the damage wouldn't likely have occurred with a Ricochet 'plate.

Dave

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have to agree with you. Especially with some clearance I don’t think it would happen. Once it’s bent though and the clearance is gone of course all bets are off. If nothing else this serves as a good display of how absurdly easy it is to break a case with the factory drain plug.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
'Bout made me cry to see how they abused the poor thing, for the sake of making such a short video.
To some people Japanese bikes have always been just a "disposable toy".

That bike was in quite pristine condition from what I could see.

So sad. :crying: :crying: :crying: :SadSigh:
Does this video make you feel a little better? :smile2:

https://youtu.be/B59d9r7n_iU

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Does this video make you feel a little better? :smile2:

https://youtu.be/B59d9r7n_iU
No, it did not. Looks like just another used, abused rat bike with a cheap headlight now.

Even his bearing driver was driving on the wrong portion of the bearing, should have just used the BFH by itself.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No, it did not. Looks like just another used, abused rat bike with a cheap headlight now.

Even his bearing driver was driving on the wrong portion of the bearing, should have just used the BFH by itself.
You are a hard man to please. :grin2:

Yes, I cringed watching him drive in that bearing, but as an EE I really cringed at his wiring skills. I hope he never gets that KLR wet.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
You are a hard man to please. :grin2:

Yes, I cringed watching him drive in that bearing, but as an EE I really cringed at his wiring skills. I hope he never gets that KLR wet.
I was trying to not be 'overly critical' of his work.

He has been deeper into the bowels of a KLR than I have had to go & I've never had any bike so totally disassembled, so I do have to tip my hat to him. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was trying to not be 'overly critical' of his work.

He has been deeper into the bowels of a KLR than I have had to go & I've never had any bike so totally disassembled, so I do have to tip my hat to him. :)
My post of the video wasn’t to endorse his assembly technique, but simply to recognize that he seemed to at least be trying to redeem himself from having destroyed a perfectly fine KLR just to make a video. Putting it back together (I assumed it was the one he trashed, but that may be a false assumption) seemed like the right thing to do.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
He did prove that they are resurrect-able by even an average home mechanic. I'm glad that their home-made clutch holder didn't destroy the clutch hub!
Again I'll tip my hat, for their home-spun / backwoods ingenuity.

ps, I've been shifted into that ever so elusive 'overdriven' 6th gear! Maybe I ought to count them in the video? :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
He did prove that they are resurrect-able by even an average home mechanic. I'm glad that their home-made clutch holder didn't destroy the clutch hub!
Again I'll tip my hat, for their home-spun / backwoods ingenuity.

ps, I've been shifted into that ever so elusive 'overdriven' 6th gear! Maybe I ought to count them in the video? :)
Better overdrive than over the hill! :grin2:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts