Agua Caliente Springs - Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum
Travel Log & Trip Reports For all your trip reports and the where to go along the way topics.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,391
Garage
Agua Caliente Springs

Just got back from a three day trip to Agua Caliente Springs down in San Diego County.

We ran down the 405/5 to Ortega Highway, then down 15 to 76 into Julian, then out 78 to S2 and The Great Southerland Route of 1849 to the campground. Coming back out, we retraced our route back to Julian, then took 78 to Ramona, then 67 into Poway and a bunch of local roads over to the 15, up a few miles and caught 78 again to San Marcos Blvd to El Camino Real, and more local roads to the 5, then a a quick blast up the 5/405 home.

Best gas mileage was 47.3 (rather heavily laden and bulky, as usual) and worst was 43. The trip was a good combination of highway and back road twisties. Highway speeds were ~75 and steady, while the back roads were limited to "lightly scraping" the foot boards on the C90. Moving average was 48mph, with a high of 84.



Stuff I learned:

Motowizard pre-load adjusters are good things! I owe thanks to Tim for turning me on to these. first off, they are of the best build quality. functionally, they are easy to install and easy to adjust. I am plagued by winds on the KLR and nearly got blown down in sweepers twice this morning by realllly heavy, gusty winds. Recovery was effortless and without drama, unlike similar situations in the past. I felt the front end was more firmly planted with a bit of pre-load (remember, I'm running 240 lbs all by my handsome self, and usually run with quite a load of crap on the bike) at the front end. They did show up how poorly the back end is set up, and I'm waiting for some fix on that from Cogent. Consider these, if you weigh more than about 150 pounds. Worth every penny.

My home-made seat was really comfortable. With the stock seat, I'd be squirming after 45 minutes, and after an hour and a half I'd do anything to get off the bike. And stay off, if possible. After two and a half hours in the saddle I was perfectly comfortable and stopped only to put more gas in the C90. The big Zook gets thirsty when approaching 150 miles, so we seldom went more than two, two and a half hours before stopping. Do yerself a favor - get a seat, any seat, it's gotta be better than that butt-hatchet the guys at KHI gave you.

I thought about gearing up for this trip, as it was all paved. I wish I had, and will be gearing up for my next road trip. Hanging out at 5000-5200 rpm is a bit buzzy. I'd like to drop that to 4600 or so. I'll be looking for a combination of 16 tooth counter sprocket and rear sprocket to do that.

Caliente Springs is a bit different from my usual haunts. It's family oriented, with modern restrooms, showers, an outdoor pool, and a heated indoor pool. We hung around the pool and worked on our suntans most of the day. Probably won't go back, but it was a good trip. A side trip up the 79 shows potential, though...

Tom

Tom [email protected]

I lit a cigarette and dragged a smoking stand beside the chair. The minutes went by on tiptoe, with their fingers to their lips. -Philip Marlowe

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used. -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.

Last edited by Tom Schmitz; 03-31-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,751
Now I know how all the snowed in guys feel. Rode into and from work, but it is raining like a doohickey here. And we got that wind, too.

Sounds like a good trip. No suntans here.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear
 
RF_R_US's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 257
Send a message via Yahoo to RF_R_US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
Just got back from a three day trip to Agua Caliente Springs down in San Diego County.

We ran down the 405/5 to Ortega Highway, then down 15 to 76 into Julian, then out 78 to S2 and The Great Southerland Route of 1849 to the campground. Coming back out, we retraced our route back to Julian, then took 78 to Ramona, then 67 into Poway and a bunch of local roads over to the 15, up a few miles and caught 78 again to San Marcos Blvd to El Camino Real, and more local roads to the 5, then a a quick blast up the 5/405 home.

Best gas mileage was 47.3 (rather heavily laden and bulky, as usual) and worst was 43. The trip was a good combination of highway and back road twisties. Highway speeds were ~75 and steady, while the back roads were limited to "lightly scraping" the foot boards on the C90. Moving average was 48mph, with a high of 84.



Stuff I learned:

Motowizard pre-load adjusters are good things! I owe thanks to Tim for turning me on to these. first off, they are of the best build quality. functionally, they are easy to install and easy to adjust. I am plagued by winds on the KLR and nearly got blown down in sweepers twice this morning by realllly heavy, gusty winds. Recovery was effortless and without drama, unlike similar situations in the past. I felt the front end was more firmly planted with a bit of pre-load (remember, I'm running 240 lbs all by my handsome self, and usually run with quite a load of crap on the bike) at the front end. They did show up how poorly the back end is set up, and I'm waiting for some fix on that from Cogent. Consider these, if you weigh more than about 150 pounds. Worth every penny.

My home-made seat was really comfortable. With the stock seat, I'd be squirming after 45 minutes, and after an hour and a half I'd do anything to get off the bike. And stay off, if possible. After two and a half hours in the saddle I was perfectly comfortable and stopped only to put more gas in the C90. The big Zook gets thirsty when approaching 150 miles, so we seldom went more than two, two and a half hours before stopping. Do yerself a favor - get a seat, any seat, it's gotta be better than that butt-hatchet the guys at KHI gave you.

I thought about gearing up for this trip, as it was all paved. I wish I had, and will be gearing up for my next road trip. Hanging out at 5000-5200 rpm is a bit buzzy. I'd like to drop that to 4600 or so. I'll be looking for a combination of 16 tooth counter sprocket and rear sprocket to do that.

Caliente Springs is a bit different from my usual haunts. It's family oriented, with modern restrooms, showers, an outdoor pool, and a heated indoor pool. We hung around the pool and worked on our suntans most of the day. Probably won't go back, but it was a good trip. A side trip up the 79 shows potential, though...

Tom
...I am SO jealous, as I lived in Cali until '03 when I had to move to CO because of the economic decline. I'm really loving my new home here in the foothills of the rockies but the full year climate and nice rides in (where I lived) Bay area are awesome. I really miss riding up into the Santa Cruz to Alice's for breakfast and a bike show every single weekend!

Enjoy Cali,

John (but then I posted pics of 4' of snow next to my bike at ~ 10K yesterday)

Farkled probably WAY too much, but good 20' footer for sure. '96 KLR, '06 HD VROD, (girl friend hauler), '05 HD Electra-Glide, heh it's a HD and I'm old now ;-) and I'm proud of riding a 800+ pound bike at my age :-)
RF_R_US is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,751
Yeah, I should never bitch, rain or not. The best riding I've ever seen is within a few hundred miles either way of me.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,391
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
Now I know how all the snowed in guys feel. Rode into and from work, but it is raining like a doohickey here. And we got that wind, too.

Sounds like a good trip. No suntans here.
Dan-

That weather system is coming down here. Last night, in camp, it was blowing like crazy. We fought the wind all the way back to the 15, too.

Coming up from camp to Julian, the temperature started out at 50 and dropped to 43 in Julian.

OK, all the snow guys are going to call me a wuss, but, hey, it was cold.

Tom

Tom [email protected]

I lit a cigarette and dragged a smoking stand beside the chair. The minutes went by on tiptoe, with their fingers to their lips. -Philip Marlowe

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used. -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Threadjacker
 
Lockjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 6,751
I feel you brother. It hailed like a sonofagun last night and has been epically pouring for hours.




"In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV." R. Pirsig

PPMC #1.
Soon, we ride.

AKA JD Mader or you can call me "Dan" just not early for dinner.

Click my handle for a link to my homepage/blog...which has nothing to do with MCs. Free literature and music! Viva La Revolucion!
-------------------
2008 KLR 650
RIP DM - Soon, we ride.
Lockjaw is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 AM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Tom,

On my 2005 I am running 16x42 and it is almost 1,000 RPMs less than stock gearing. My 2003 has stock gearing and 5,000 RPMs feels like I am pushing it. I have a 16T CS that will be installed after I get the valve shims and it is running again.

Wish I could have gone on that trip with both of you. Did you go here? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=10&dirflg=d

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Pretty in Pink, dunno why
 
Tom Schmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 7,391
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Tom,

On my 2005 I am running 16x42 and it is almost 1,000 RPMs less than stock gearing. My 2003 has stock gearing and 5,000 RPMs feels like I am pushing it. I have a 16T CS that will be installed after I get the valve shims and it is running again.

Wish I could have gone on that trip with both of you. Did you go here? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...&z=10&dirflg=d
Tim -

I may try that gearing, though I don't have the 685 on, as you do. Might not be able to pull it off. Proof will be in the pudding.

That is the place.

Tom

Tom [email protected]

I lit a cigarette and dragged a smoking stand beside the chair. The minutes went by on tiptoe, with their fingers to their lips. -Philip Marlowe

'Why' and 'How' are words so important they cannot be too often used. -Napoleon Bonaparte


Sting like a butterfly.
Tom Schmitz is online now  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 AM
4th Gear
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schmitz View Post
Tim -

I may try that gearing, though I don't have the 685 on, as you do. Might not be able to pull it off. Proof will be in the pudding.

That is the place.

Tom
Try the 16 only which most people use. I stumbled across the 16x42 when I needed a an unexpected rear sprocket. I originally had the 42 to use as a 15x42. MotoPhoto is running a 16x42 on a 650 though he is not like us 220+ riders.

Tim

2005 KLR 685
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES, 5/23/2015
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere; Purchased 7/30/2011; Sold 5/23/2015
tomatocity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which springs for Doohickey replacement Sin2R 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 7 06-03-2009 08:10 PM
On the 10 between Indio,CA & Palm Springs, CA (pic) mizzly You've been spotted 1 01-15-2009 01:25 AM
Doohickey Springs John D 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 2 10-22-2008 07:24 PM
South of Eureka Springs on 9/21 JeeBee You've been spotted 0 09-22-2008 07:51 AM
Progressive Fork Springs...which way? Florida Marine 1987 to 2007 Wrenching & Mods 0 05-10-2008 07:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome