Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Now I can post pics

I've owned 5 bikes and this is the only one I have felt comfortable to ride and gives me a smile every time I'm on it. So glad I bought a KLR

Registered
Anything that is over 400 lbs, and top heavy will feel squirrely on gravel. Some tires make a difference, but you probably have more grip than you think. I ride a mile on gravel every day to get to a paved road from my house. My KLR feels the same way, I ride with Shinko 705 tires. the old 244s were a little better, but still felt weird. Add enough power the back comes out and the front tire stands upright when you counter steer. The only problem is the neighbors think I am showing off!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Anything that is over 400 lbs, and top heavy will feel squirrely on gravel. Some tires make a difference, but you probably have more grip than you think. I ride a mile on gravel every day to get to a paved road from my house. My KLR feels the same way, I ride with Shinko 705 tires. the old 244s were a little better, but still felt weird. Add enough power the back comes out and the front tire stands upright when you counter steer. The only problem is the neighbors think I am showing off!
Trust me I tried going faster. It resulted in near crashes as the whole bike was so damn squirly. Both my brother and I have '18 KLR's and we both feel that its squirly. It's not a dirtbike and I don't expect it to be or behave as such. But when I'm being passed by a heavier bike (150lbs) I just dont believe weight is the underlying issue.

Registered
Trust me I tried going faster. It resulted in near crashes as the whole bike was so damn squirly. Both my brother and I have '18 KLR's and we both feel that its squirly. It's not a dirtbike and I don't expect it to be or behave as such. But when I'm being passed by a heavier bike (150lbs) I just dont believe weight is the underlying issue.
You are correct that it isn't just weight, Tires will make a big difference as will the kind of gravel. My Honda V65 Sabre was really bad on the gravel as well. Maybe I have just gotten use to my KLR, but when the road is first resurfaced (graded, more gravel put down) it is real weird. Sit back and let the bike find it's way, sometimes standing helps me get the weight lower, remember to flex your knees. I ho0pe you find the right combination to get you more comfortable.

Premium Member
When you're being passed by a heavier ADV bike, that rider is likely more experienced. ;-) I've ridden most all dual sport, dual purpose and ADV bikes currently on the market, and you're right, it isn't just the weight, it's weight, weight distribution, suspension, ergonomics and tires (and tire pressure) are what affect the sensation you describe.....not necessarily in that order.

My KLR's have been lightened, most of the weight I removed was up high, I run a Pirelli MT21 front at 22-24PSI and a Dunlop D606 rear at 20-22 PSI, I have complete Cogent suspensions with the sag, preload and damping set up properly, I don't carry top boxes or side bags and I stand most of the time. I have no problems with instability on gravel roads

cheers,
Dave

Premium Member
Given your dirt experience, I'd say it's mainly a tire issue combined with a less than ideal stock riding position, high center of gravity and crap stock suspension. .......but there is nothing wrong with sliding! ;-)

A D606 rear/MT21 front combo at about 20-24 PSI, good bar bend, drop pegs, attack position and let 'er rip! ....of course a suspension upgrade will keep the bike planted on the rough stuff.

2 cents,
Dave
I just realized that I already said much the same back on page 2 before this thread devolved into a debate about the proper tire direction! LOL

cheers,
Dave

81 - 86 of 86 Posts